html> Lostvestige: A Frozen Canyon

A Frozen Canyon


It seems like the majority of our trips happen in the cold. We froze when we went to Pittsburgh, froze on both trips to Washington DC, froze in NYC at Christmas time. And as we stood, freezing in Detroit this past November, we decided that our next trip would be someplace hot. 

 The Desert.


I planned the trip for the beginning of March, when the average temperatures appeared to be in the 70s. Perfect.

Except they weren't.

On this trip we learned that it snows in the desert. And that it actually gets quite cold.


We arrived at the Grand Canyon as the sun was setting, and snow covered the ground. I jumped out of the car and ran up the walkway to catch my first glimpse of this infamous gap in the earth. 

Just like with every part of the desert so far, I couldn't believe what I was looking at. The landscape here is so crazy.




The next morning we walked along the icy path, bundled up in the 20 degree weather. Being careful not to slip on the ice and plummet over the edge.











I didn't mind that the desert wasn't hot. I'm glad I got to see what the Grand Canyon looks like with snow.



Labels: , , , , , ,